Thursday, November 22, 2012

AMABERDER

The following is a true story - with only a "slight" exaggeration.

My wife and I were returning to Manila after an unfruitful birding foray in Davao. As we were checking in at the Davao International Airport, one of the staff at the Cebu Pacific Counter told us to check in my camera bag. I admit that it was a tad oversized but then again it contains my 500mm lens along with my DSLR camera. We told him that we didn't have a problem hand carrying it when we boarded the plane from Manila. We even explained that we were allowed, without question, to hand carry it to and from Coron, Palawan, where the airplane was relatively smaller (and therefore had smaller  overhead bins). But he was adamant. We asked to see his manager.

After about 15 minutes the manager came and basically said the same thing. We told him that if we checked in the camera bag and something happened to it would they be willing to pay for the damage? The manager said that we will be asked to sign a waiver. Whereupon I could no longer contain myself.

"A waiver?" I shouted. "Don't you know AMABERDER! AMABERDER! Do you have any idea how much this equipment costs? Do you even realize that because AMABERDER I have to take good care of my camera gear?"

"Sir, if it passes the security then you can hand carry it" was his stubborn reply.

"Security?" I was apoplectic. "AMABERDER! I photograph birds not kill people!"

Exit Cebu Pacific Manager. 

My wife and I stomped towards the security area where our hand carry luggage passed without even a curious look from the guards. 

I was just glad nobody took a video of what just transpired.

No comments:

Post a Comment