Monday, July 5, 2010

Healthy Oh

Yesterday was a dry run. Gingerly I eased myself into the driver's seat of our vehicle. No pain on the left knee. So far so good.  I started the engine and slowly moved the vehicle forward. Once around the block and everything felt fine. "OK, let's go, " my wife said encouragingly. Off we went to Ortigas Center primarily to attend the 8:30 service at Victory Christian Fellowship and then to hang around the mall for a while. (Cynthia promised me lunch at Iceberg - one of my favorite dining places at Galleria). When we got home later that day, my wife wanted to know how my left knee reacted to a whole morning of driving/walking/sitting. "It feels okay!", I told her truthfully.


Monday morning was the real test. I will be driving along with the morning traffic and then I will have to endure standing for long periods of time. That is because we will be going to the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Pasig to renew the registration of our vehicle. I was dithering the night before, afraid that transacting with a government office would wreak havoc not only on my weak knee but on my nerves as well. But this is something that had to be done. 


After paying the P20 parking fee, we were immediately ushered to the inspection area, where a stencil of the VIN was taken. Mang Eddie, the Inspector's Aide assigned to us, was very helpful and helped us through each step in the renewal process. He even suggested some remedy for my knee when he learned about its condition. 


We were informed that we need to get a Third Party Liability (TPL) Insurance despite us telling them that we do have a comprehensive coverage - which, of course, already includes TPL. That cost us P980 which we thought was reasonable. While Cynthia was waiting for the policy to be finished (it was being typed on the spot using a manual typewriter) I, on the other hand, was waiting for the emission test (costing P430). After about an hour, just as the policy was about to be finished, they called me and the emission test was done on our XTrail (which passed with flying colors). Next was submitting all the paperwork to the Evaluator. "Just wait for your name to be called", we were advised. Again, close to an hour had passed when Cynthia's name was finally called. That means it was now time to pay the registration fees (around P2500) and obtain the 2010 stickers afterwards.


As I mentioned before, I had a certain degree of skepticism when dealing with government offices, but our experience here at the LTO somehow changed that. The time spent in waiting (at the emission test center and at the Evaluator) was due to sheer volume and not of bureaucracy. I remember in the 60's and 70's that nothing will get accomplished unless you hired a "fixer" - someone who will expedite the paperwork because of their "connections" at that office. This morning, I was amazed that they no longer allow such individuals at their premises. I also understood that offices are still "low-tech" albeit for a good purpose. Government offices (not just the LTO - we've seen this at the Bureau of Immigration as well) would rather use manpower (and therefore providing jobs to more people) than computerize the whole process (and deprive a number of Filipinos of work). My wife and I also observed that the employees now are more helpful and have better work ethics than those of several decades in the past.


As we drove home, my wife can't help but notice the smile on my face. "My knee feels great!", I explained. "Not only that", I continued, "I am happy that now our government workers have a healthier attitude towards their jobs." 


And we are all for the better because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment